Mobile antivirus applications and software can protect your smartphone from viruses, malicious programs, spy software, and other security threats. In this article, we will consider the best alternatives for Android in 2022.
Do you need an antivirus for Android?
Android devices are becoming more popular. Android, in general, has no competitors. IOS devices are relatively expensive, and not everyone can afford them. The popularity of devices based on Android is understandable:
- small price
- the ability to configure the smartphone operating system for every taste and color
- a huge number of free applications.
But the popularity of Android devices and their popularity open a huge field of activity for all sorts of attackers. In 2015 alone, the number of viruses and other malware for Android increased by 190 % to 550 thousand. Hence a significant probability of accidentally establishing one of such malicious programs. Therefore, antivirus for Android is a practical necessity.
Researchers from AV-Comparatives studied 250 popular protective applications from the official Google Play catalog and came to disappointing conclusions: almost two-thirds of antiviruses for Android do not perform the functions declared in their advertisement. Worse, sometimes such applications determine themselves as malware, do not “see” real threats, and do nothing useful at all.
Researchers write that many antiviruses do not scan the applications loaded and installed by the user but only check with allowlists and blocklists, containing only the packages’ names, not their code. As a result, many applications, by default, are marked as malicious simply because they are not on the right list.
Av-Comparatives experts write that many of these antivirus applications are also developed by IB specialists: they were created by amateurs or companies whose main activity is extremely far from information security (for example, game developers). The latter category is represented by developers who create applications for monetization and advertising or those who want a protective solution for Android in their portfolio.
The best Antivirus app for Android in 2022
Our selection presents the best free antivirus applications for Android, capable of providing reliable protection for your smartphone or tablet from viruses and malicious programs. They are as follows:
- ESET NOD32 is one of the most popular antiviruses created for the comprehensive protection of mobile devices from viruses, trojans, malicious spy software, and other types of threats. It is possible to carry out fast or deep scanning of the file system. Furthermore, an Antivor option allows you to exclude the theft or loss of your personal data. The remote phone control using SMS commands is available. The main functions include blocking, detection, the inclusion of siren, and memory cleaning. It is necessary to create an account to activate this service.
- Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus is a multifunctional antivirus program from the Kaspersky laboratory. The software provides round-the-clock protection against malicious objects. It includes an Antivor option, allows you to block fake links to SMS, create a secret phone book, and much more. There is a tool for filtering incoming calls. When connecting to the My Kaspersky service, you can remotely control your phone or tablet for Android.
- Dr.web Light will allow you to set the subtle parameters of checking your gadget for an effective fight against viruses. You can carry out a quick, full, and even selective file check. The software provides detailed statistics about the found threats and actions on them. Dangerous objects can be placed in quarantine. Using the Spider Guard tool, your data will be protected in real-time. Dr. Web has a built-in download manager.