Virtual data rooms are unique tools that can speed up and simplify any transaction. No matter what process is going on inside the space, it will surely involve a lot of sensitive data, VDR providers are well aware of this, and do their best to keep their clients safe from security threats. Thus, data rooms are an ideal solution for any organization, but before you start, you should make sure you set up your space correctly.
Select a data room that fits your needs
Every company has its own unique needs, in turn, data room providers provide different services. You should make sure that you choose a provider that will meet all of your needs. Your choice will directly depend on the industry in which you operate, and the processes you want to perform using VDRs. In addition, you should consider the following aspects:
- Security -Security should be a top priority for both business owners and VDR providers. You have to make sure that the space provides quality and up-to-date security methods. So, make sure that the provider has encryption features, both at rest and during data exchange. Also, a reliable VDR should provide entry protection and document access control
- Ease of use – The software must have a simplified interface that is optimized for your workflow. Examine customer feedback to learn about the quality of the vendor’s interface
- Pricing – Depending on the size of your company and the purpose of using VDRs, some pricing structures will be more beneficial to you than others. Find out about vendor rates and match them to your capabilities, and future processes
Determine which data rooms, should be used at which stage
Many companies operate on the principle that they create separate data rooms for different stages of the transaction. Different rooms house documents by the degree of confidentiality, which are later accessed by third-party users. In this way, you can create sections for the early, later, and final stages of the transaction. This promotes a quality organization of the process that your potential clients will appreciate.
Follow the due diligence checklist
During due diligence, it’s important to follow a document checklist by consistently loading and organizing them in space. This way, you’ll have a better view and understanding of your organization’s situation, and the availability of all necessary documents, so that there are no further delays due to missing any data.
The checklist greatly helps in forming the folder structure within the data room électronique. This way, you can prepare documents for verification in advance, all that is left for your potential customers is to go into the space, examine the data, and if necessary, request additional information.
Set Access Levels, Permissions, and Security Settings
When all the data has been organized, you need to decide what permissions you will set for each of the files. You need to address this issue at several levels:
- Access Control – Determine which invited users will have access to which documents. You can grant group permissions. For example, you can grant access to the company’s legal data only to a group of legal experts, etc.
- Document interaction control – you can prohibit or allow copying, forwarding, printing, or downloading a document. Carefully select users who will have this authority
- Adding watermarks and nondisclosure agreements – You can watermark your company’s most sensitive documents or set terms of access agreements. This greatly reduces the risk of data leakage
Once everything has been done, all you have to do is invite temporary users into your space.